Spreading FABULOUS to the masses...

Contact Me!

Have a question, comment, or idea you want to run by me?
Hurry up and email me already.
ruddy83@gmail.com

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Moo Shoo who?


I'm a little embarrassed to admit that before last week I had never tried Moo Shoo. It's in every fast food Chinese restaurant menu in NYC and for some reason I always skipped it...Maybe because I had no idea what it was. Well, I finally had it and was gagging over how amazing and easy the dish is. Of course, I had to make my own version. Here it goes boys and girls. Easy Moo Shoo for a very quick dinner.


Ruddy's Moo Shoo

Ingredients:
1/2 a cabbage (shredded)
3 tablespoons of sesame oil
2 cups of shrimp, 2 cups of chicken (in strips), or 2 cups of seitan (pick one)
Chopped up scallions
Chopped up portobello mushrooms
1 thinly sliced carrot
soy sauce

Preparation:
As you can see, I do not provide amounts for some of the ingredients. That is because this recipe is super flexible and you can put as much as you want in the pot. You can also add in other veggies than the ones I have listed. Bok Choy, edamame, sprouts, and red bell peppers all work really well in this as long as you slice them thinly.

1. In a big pot, or wok, add sesame oil. When warm add in your protein (shrimp, chicken, or seitan). Season with only salt and pepper.

2. When protein is cooked add in the mushrooms, carrots, and scallions. After about 5-7 minutes everything should be looking delicious and golden brown.

3. Add in the soy sauce and then finally add in all of the shredded cabbage.

4. Cover the pot and lower the heat. After 7 minutes open the pot and stir everything around. Close the lid again and stir again in 7 minutes.

5. Open the pot and add a little more soy sauce (to taste) and then you are pretty much ready to enjoy. The cabbage should be very much cooked down and delicious.
*Note: Moo Shoo is also known for the preparation with a pancake and hoisin sauce that holds the cabbage filling. I decided that I did not want to take it there for this recipe because part of the goal is to have something simple I can make in about 20 minutes.

No comments: